Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mummies Behaving Badly


What is it about birthday parties that make even the most mild-mannered mummy turn into a stark raving mad lunatic? 

My friend had her little girl’s first birthday party a few weeks ago. There were party games, party bags and hand made decorations – this was a well planned event. 







But it all ended in tears when she discovered that her husband had not cooked the right number of sausages for all the guests! I pretended to not listen as she ranted at her husband in the kind of high pitched tone usually reserved for a confession of sleeping with your best friend.


I have another friend who made a 3 tier watermelon cake for her son’s first birthday party (that none of the kids ate) and then at midnight the night before the party, she decided to bake hundreds of allergen free cupcakes. You’re probably thinking that’s crazy, right?




Well, you know what they say about people in glass houses… I have done some pretty crazy things for my son’s birthdays as well. For my eldest son’s 1st birthday, I spent a week scrapbooking individual invitations. And then there was the Bob the Builder cake I made for his 2nd birthday that took me 3 days to ice… and let’s not forget the lady beetle cake I made for his 6 month old birthday (yes, you read that right) that was completely inedible. I think you get the idea...



Well, this year I have made a concerted effort to keep my son’s birthday parties low key. A mini-golf party for my 5 year old and afternoon tea in the park for my youngest. The only inkling of mummy madness... a giant 1st birthday balloon that could quite possibly be seen from the moon. 

Well, as they say, you can take mummy out of the madness but can you take the madness out of mummy?


Leanne J


What crazy things have you done for your kid's birthday parties?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...