Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lessons From Day Care



It was my little man’s first day at Day Care today and I had Mummy guilt big time! It was heart wrenching when I had to leave him. It was even worse when my older son got upset and wanted to go back for his brother.








All day I was worried sick about him – was he wondering where I was? Why I abandoned him? When I was coming back – if I was coming back?! I don’t remember it being this hard with my first son.












I waited as long as I could before ringing to check up on my poor abandoned child. His day care mum told me that he cried when it came time to go to sleep. I wished I was there to sing his favourite song and kiss him goodnight. I resisted the urge to put down the phone and go and pick him up immediately.


While it is damn hard some days, I have really enjoyed being a Stay At Home Mum. Mr 1 is my shopping companion; my coffee date; my little ‘bubba wubba’. 









But there comes a time when bills need to be paid and Mumma needs to help bring home some bacon. I just need to keep reminding myself that day care is good for him. And squash that little mummy guilt voice that is telling me otherwise.



When it was finally time to pick him up from daycare, the little rascal was having so much fun that he didn’t want to leave. And when we got home, I actually played outside with my boys. I didn’t spend this time getting dinner ready or bringing the washing in. I played Ring a ring a rosey on the trampoline instead and we all collapsed in fits of laughter.








So, while it broke my heart to send my son to Day Care, it has made me appreciate just how precious my time with my boys is and for that I am grateful.


Leanne :)






What lessons have you learnt the hard way?



8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm glad it went ok in the end. Thankfully I've never had to send my kids, cause I know I would be terrible miserable all day!

    But when you make the right decisions for your family, whatever that is, I think everyone is happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess. I'm hoping that the first day will be the hardest and it will get easier from here on in. :)

      Delete
  2. When the boys had their first day at daycare earlier this year, I was crushed. But it ended up being a great thing for all of us. They're really thriving at daycare and I know it's giving them something I couldn't. It was hard for me to come to terms with that, it's what's worked best for all of us.
    Glad to see you enjoy the moments together. That photo is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I know my little man will thrive at daycare as well - it's just me that has to get used to it. :)

      Delete
  3. It is always hard to do the drop off. My Munchkin has been in day care since 3 months old, and I still struggle with it. Day care really is good for them though, and that's great that he was having so much fun he didn't want to leave.
    PS: Awesome trampoline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chrissie. You're right - the drop off is the hardest bit, isn't it? And when you leave, the last thing you see is their little sad face. Of course as soon as you're gone, they're happy as larry but you're left with the memory of their sad face for the whole day!
    PS: I agree - the tramp is awesome but sadly, not mine. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. G started daycare a few months back, it was hard for both of us for the first few weeks but now she loves it!! She is getting loads out of it. Love the trampoline photo! That's what it's all about eh?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine! I'm looking forward to it getting easier, I must say. It's good to know that other mums feel exactly the same way...
    Leanne :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...